Tag Archives: e3d

DSF Build Progress Nine

First to forth test prints

First to forth test prints

I have put the E3D hotend together (really easy to do if you follow their instructions) and installed it on the printer. Since then I started to do some test prints. I started with a 20x20x4mm piece. The extruder worked brilliantly however the printer had an issue, the Y axis kept offsetting (see first print above – ignore the waviness, I was impatient and pulled it off the bed while it was still hot). I turned up the power of the Y Axis stepper driver (second print). Same issue, again ignore the blob that was my fault. The Y Axis is quite heavy and I thought that the stepper was still missing steps. The stepper for the extruder has a slightly higher torque so I wanted to swap it for the Y Axis motor.

I removed the extruder motor and then started on the Y Axis. As I removed the motor I noticed that the pulley came off too easily. Oops I forgot to put the screw to clamp it to the motors shaft! So what I think was happening was the motor turned but didn’t have the grip on the pulley to move the mass of the bed. I finished the pulley with the nut and bolt and reattached the two motors. Voilà, it worked correctly as shown in the third and forth prints above.

X Axis pulley slip visible on the left print

X Axis pulley slip visible on the left print

While I was writing this I was printing out a 40mm dome. It finished printing and a similar thing was happening to the X Axis. It isn’t visible on the above prints as they didn’t go high enough for it to manifest. A new pulley was printed on my Huxley as the old one wouldn’t take the captured nut correctly. As you can see above there was some significant slippage although not as severe as the Y Axis had.

PID Tuning

PID Tuning

The last thing, which should have been the first, I wanted to do was to do a bit of PID tuning for the hotend. Using the auto PID command M303 in Marling I was able to set the PID to: P 26.84, I 2.48, D 72.57 should anyone be interested in using them as a base for their E3D hotend.

Glowy

Glowy

Just in case anyone is wondering the domes were made with Faberdashery’s Aurora UV colour changing filament.

Leave a comment

Filed under DSF

Quick Post

packageJust had an email to say that the hotend, from E3D, for my printer has been posted! On holiday this week so should be able to get the printer finally up and running!

Leave a comment

Filed under DSF

DSF Build Progress Eight

image

Almost there!

The heated bed is now complete! In my last update I was having issues with temperature readings. It turns out that the problem was the ply I used as an insulator. I cut the ply with a route for the nichrome wire to channel in and in the center is the thermistor. Because of the shape, a H shape, the ply had a defect that made the center bend away from the aluminium. As it done so it moved the thermistor away from the aluminium corrupting the reading. Also the nichrome wire was moving away from the bed causing hotspots where it burnt through the kapton tape.

Fire cemented

Fire cemented – little bit on the left is waiting to be filled, it is where the cramp was holding the H section tight to the aluminium.

To solve both these problems I used fire cement to fill the grove with the nichrome wire firmly attached. This means that now the heating wire is secure and the ply is held in position.

For the print surface I am using glass but it is borosilicate glass, from RepRapWorld.com. This glass apparently has a lower thermal expansion which, I believe, should reduce the likelihood of shattering due thermal shock. Given the low rates of heating and cooling I don’t think it would be likely occurrence, however I was ordering filament from them and it saves me getting glass cut to the right size and lets be honest “borosilicate” sounds cool!

All I am waiting on now is the hotend from E3D before I have a fully working system. It was a four week waiting time, although it may be here earlier according to the thread in RepRap’s forums.

Leave a comment

Filed under DSF